Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Memorial Service


Today was the memorial service. It was a beautiful, funny, poignant, inspirational event. I was honored to be asked to sit with the family. It was almost like a reunion, many friends from the past had come to pay their respects.

I just left my friend's house. It is quiet there. All of the funeral preparations are over. The family has headed back home. Her other boys were in bed. We sat there, she in her pajamas, I in my sweats, expressing to each other how we felt about each other. We are a funny pair, neither one real comfortable with baring our souls. I told her about how sweet it was that her family thanked me for being such a good friend to her. But, as I explained to her, I couldn't be any other way...she was the other half of me...and often, the better half. You know how twins are? They can finish each other's sentences and feel each other's pain. It's like that with me and Tracey. So, to reciprocate, she told me about how she has told her boss again and again, how she will never have another teacher to work with like me. How she and I could take one little idea and expand and modify it to teach the children we were charged with. It was her way of telling me I am special to her. And, as I sit and reflect on it, tears roll down my face, thankful to have her in my life.

Ever heard of the 5 love languages? They are words of affirmation, quality time, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. I definitely feel like my strongest love language is acts of service...that is how I let people know I love them, and how I best receive love from others. Tracey is the same way. Which is why we don't need to hug or share sappy words to know that we care about each other. We show it through doing...driving her somewhere, loaning me her computer, etc.

Sigh...I believe it is time to rest.

No comments: